Saturday, March 2, 2019

Supreme Law of the Land

I woke up one day when I was 8 and said "I am going to be a lawyer." I'm sure my parents laughed and shoo-ed me along, but I wasn't kidding. 13 years later, and my same dream still stands.

I focused my 8th grade "DC" project on the Supreme Court, and from that project, I fell head over heels for all things judicial-branch-related. When we went on our trip that spring, we were able to stop by the Supreme Court, and my 13-year-old self was internally screaming. This is where I need to be. 

My focus in college has been on judicial politics due to my fascination. Ruth Bader Ginsburg? You mean the notorious RBG? My queen.

If at least four justices want to hear a case, then all nine justices will agree to hear it, and that is a MAJOR deal. Some attorneys will devote their entire life to trying to argue their case in front of these nine people. Crazy, right?

October to June is a wild time for those nine, to say the least. Can you imagine dedicating 8 months of your year to listening to court cases that could affect the entire US population? A mind-blowing concept.

The decision on cases is the most important and integral part of the Supreme Court's work. As we all know, the media will be swarming outside of the Court on the day that these decisions are coming out. Every reporter wants to be the first one to know the decision so that their news first can be the first one to alert the US. And I don't blame them.

That's all for now...
Lynds

No comments:

Post a Comment