Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Technology: Friend or Foe?

"Say hi to my FBI agent!" the girl says as she waves to her computer screen, laughing with her friend next to her after their discussion on what they did the night before as they were "out on the town." I giggle to myself, and think, "wow, they really believe that?"

But then again...should I believe it, too?

We live in a time where technology literally dictates our lives. I am currently enrolled in a class that discusses U.S. intelligence, and I have never been more fascinated, and perhaps even a little scared. I am not fearful of my own government "spying" on me, but I am more so fearful about how easily someone else can tap into my technnology. And that brings us to today's topic: a "normal person" being able to spy on me without my knowledge.

CNN released a "breaking news" article yesterday regarding a new "Apple Facetime" bug, where iPhone users are able to eavesdrop and sometimes even see the person they are calling, even if that person does not answer the Facetime call. While the logistics of this phenomenon are confusing, one thing is for certain: thousands upon thousands of Apple users have iOS 12.1, and that means that thousands upon thousands of users now have access to what I am saying and doing whenever they want, technically. If I decline a Facetime call, the person calling still may be able to hear and see me. And that, my friends, is a tad bit creepy.

What will happen next? What will be the newest scandal? How is Apple going to fix this, and how will they prevent this in the future?

All these thoughts...but no answers...yet.

That's all for now!
Lynds





No comments:

Post a Comment