Saturday, May 4, 2019

Privacy: Online & Off

Privacy, named on our class blog as "the most vexing issue of the Digital Age," has become increasingly important as technology and social media has evolved over the past century. While technology is extremely helpful and almost all of the world relies on technology for everyday functions, technology is a dangerous phenomenon.

Growing up, my parents were always extremely cautious of my "computer time," and I never had a phone until I was 13 (which probably seems young to most people, but that's ancient compared to the number of middle schoolers surrounding me with phones since the 3rd grade). Certain websites, including major social media sites, were extremely monitored by parents, but I didn't understand why at the time; in fact, I resented them for doing so.

I mean, cmon mom - how bad could MySpace be? Sure, it's swarming with thousands upon thousands of strangers, but I'm 13! I know what I'm doing!

Ugh - mothers know best. Everything I posted on my MySpace page has come back to haunt me in some type of way, and this evolved quickly into my use of Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. If someone friended me and I didn't know them, I would usually accept it if they "looked nice." LOOKED NICE?!?!??! I was so young and vulnerable.

Fast forward a few years, and now I am absolutely terrified of the Internet. Does this stop me from posting? No, of course not. But I am increasingly cautious about what I post, who I send what, and where my face may be, because I never know who is watching or whose hands my information could end up in, as discussed in the Ted Talks on our class blog discussing online life as "permanent as a tattoo."

This is something I think we should all be cautious of. Even when our phone is sitting on the table next to us, you NEVER know who is listening...

Lynds

No comments:

Post a Comment